Some thoughts on legalising the rhino horn trade from John Hume.
- It must surely be common sense that if you have a supply to a market and you cut that supply, the demand will find an alternative source of supply.
- If we cut the supply of chickens from South Africa, the demand will find an alternative supply from Brazil.
- If we cut the supply of mutton from South Africa, the demand will find a supply from New Zealand.
- We have cut the supply of rhino horn from South Africa and the demand has found an alternative supply from the poachers.
- We have been putting that supply into stockpiles and because we have cut the supply from a supply line where very few rhinos died, the demand
has found an alternative supply from the poachers where all the rhino die.
- The problem is that we are losing the very animals that could save the species and if we continue with this folly for much longer we will be responsible for the extinction of our rhino. This iconic animal certainly does not deserve that; therefore we need to wake up in time to save it.
- Therefore it is common sense that anyone who is against the legal supply from a source where very few rhinos die, is justifying the illegal supply from poachers (where all the rhinos die) and has the blood of our beloved rhinos on their hands.
For more info on how to save our rhinos please visit www.rhinodotcom.com