Alexander Bay, Northern Cape, South Africa
Alexander Bay takes its name from Sir James Alexander, who dreamed of making a fortune by exporting copper. Because of the copper, the town experienced a brief flush of prosperity until the 1870s. Unfortunately, this came to an end and Alexander Bay became something of a ghost town.
The town became rejuvenated once again when in 1926, diamonds were discovered. The resulting 'diamond rush' led to the Diamond Coast rebellion of 1928. Today, the area where the diamonds are mined is quite a high security area.
The company that is in control of this area is happy to receive visitors and will readily issue permits and arrange tours. Visitors are also shown the Seal colony and oyster farm.