Mooi River, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Mooi River was originally named Lawrenceville after the Irish farmer who formalised its settlement during the 1800s. The town received its current name, Mooi River, because the early settlers were so impressed by the 'mooi' (pretty) river. In Zulu, however, the river is Mpofana, Place of the Eland.
Today, Mooi River forms part of the popular Midlands Meander and is part of the self-drive arts and crafts route while all around there are opportunities for outdoor recreation. The Mooi River area is home to stud farms of which several offer tours to visitors.
Stretches of the Mooi River offer boating facilities, as well as fly fishing for those looking to relax. Trout fishing in South Africa started in Mooi River in 1890. Visitors to Mooi River should definitely visit the Rhodes House Museum, which offers a variety of local history exhibits depicting activities about the area.