Skukuza, Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Skukuza is administrative headquarters of the Kruger National Park and is the largest of all the camps in the Park. it is named after the Shangaan word 'uSikikhuza', the nickname given to the Park's first warden, Colonel James Stevenson-Hamilton.
In the 1920's, the Colonel based himself at an old blockhouse and helped build Skukuza into the thriving administrative headquarters it is today. Skukuza offers a myriad of facilities, including a post office, petrol station, museum, curio shop and a golf course.
The camp is spacious, well equipped and there are some lofty trees along the river's edge. Activities and facilities are in abundance, as the animals and plants found within the camp and in the surrounding areas.
Accommodation is offered in various huts, camp sites, guest houses and bungalows to suit all needs, from the rough and ready traveler, to guest looking for comfort and style. Skukuza is probably the most popular of the Kruger Park camps and receives hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.